December was a blast! Our boy scout troop spent a little over a week working with a family-owned business in Jacksonville to support the local food bank. Now, we’re driving 5 hours down to Miami to help a local roofing company, Z Roofing & Waterproofing, whose pledged a portion of their profits to a local food bank. Troop 95 will roll up its sleeves and help tear off and replace old roofs with state-of-the-art metal roofing materials. Unlike many of the other roofers in Miami, Z Roofing is a family-owned business started by a father and handed off to his son. They mainly serve Hialeah and Miami, offering roof installation, repair, and replacement. They also offer waterproofing as an add-on service, which is truly necessary with Florida’s typical rainy season and penchant for hurricanes. You can learn more about Z Roofing on their website at Zroofing.com. We’re excited to see a day in the life of a roofing contractor and help where we can. We expect a busy 5 or 6 days as homeowners begin requesting projects after the holiday break. After this coming week, the boy scout troop is headed home. We’ve kept the guys away from their families for quite some time, so we’re ready to head back. Next update to be provided in a couple weeks.
Part of the Boy Scout code, and even the requirements to become an Eagle Scout, is volunteering. Some people choose easy tasks like helping serve food at Thanksgiving’s Equinox event, or handing out flyers for a church or a non-profit organization. Troop 95 has a long debate over what form of volunteering we’d like to do, and we decided on a much different approach this year. We’ve been in contact with the Jacksonville Business Networking International (BNI) chapter, who turned us on to a number of minority-owned companies working in small business. After sorting through a few potentials, we selected the concrete contractor Jacksonville Pool Decks. They’re a small, family-owned business who handle pool deck repair and resurfacing for homes and commercial properties within a 100 mile radius. You can read more about them on their website www.JacksonvillePoolDecks.com. They came highly recommended due to quality craftsmanship and a surprising number of impressive reviews. We’re planning to fly from JFK to JAX on 12/27, right after Christmas and stay for one business week. We’re going to assist Jacksonville Pool Decks with a number of tasks from answering the phones and scheduling to traveling to see customers for estimates. Now, while we don’t normally assist for-profit businesses, we’re doing so because their team has offered to donate all profit from the month of December to the local food bank. That’s a noble cause we can certainly support. Troop 95 BSA will provide updates after the completion of the trip.
Did you know that the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, accredits his success to his mentor Warren Buffet? Even the richest man in the world needed a mentor from whom he could get insights on building his business. Whether you are starting a new business or looking for opportunities for growth, a mentor provides business advice, encouragement, and the necessary support. If you’ve ever wondered how to find the right mentor, keep on reading.
A business mentor is a person who has significant entrepreneurial experience so that you are able to hone your abilities and take up new challenges with confidence. Although it is easier today to get some advice over the Internet and to read stories of successful people, you need someone who understands your business and its needs. You need a mentor who works closely with you and provides valuable insights to improve your business strategy, to improve your networking and to help you understand why something is not working.
How to Find a Business Mentor
According to Richard Branson, the founder of virgin airlines, the first step to find the right mentor is to acknowledge that you need one. Whether your business is new or established, having a mentor empowers you and helps your business grow. Let us look at the tips to find a good mentor.
Be Clear About What You want
Every business has a different need. If have just started out you need someone who has a wide range of expertise and skills. However, you need to make sure that you are comfortable with the person you choose.
You should know what to expect before looking out for someone. Start by asking yourself a couple of questions. What is the vision that you have for your business? Do you know what are your strengths and weaknesses? Is there any specific quality that you are looking for in your mentor? Knowing the answers to these questions will give you an idea of the sort of the person you are looking forward to as a mentor.
Look for the Qualities of a Good Mentor
In the business world it is difficult to know someone whom you can trust with information, so a good mentor is a person who is trustworthy and reliable. Also, he should be someone that you respect so that you value his opinions.
Your mentor should also be successful in the area that you want to grow in, so that you get the necessary insights. People who are passionate about their work are good mentors because they feel the need to teach about their craft. Apart from these qualities, your mentor should be a good listener. He should listen to your problems not to give you a solution but to help you to arrive at one.
Find a Person who is Available When You are in Need
Staying regularly in touch with your mentor helps you in staying motivated. A weekly meeting would be the best in the initial stages however, later on you may need less time. It is important that your mentor has the time when you need his help and he is committed to mentoring you.
Meet the Potential Mentors
Start asking your family, friends if they know people with the qualities that you are seeking. The next step is to follow up with your potential mentor. Meet up with them over coffee and have a conversation about your business, the goals and vision that you have, and also whether you feel that you two have a chemistry. You need not settle for the first person you meet but keep meeting more people until you are convinced that a person can be a good mentor to you. Learning how to find the right mentor and selecting the perfect one for you is a process, so stay patient.
According to a survey conducted by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 25% of Americans volunteered through or for an organization in 2015. Every year a large number of volunteers donate their precious time to work for the benefit of people and animals. Volunteering helps in bringing about a difference in someone’s life and has a positive impact on society.
Importance of Volunteering
Volunteering brings you immense satisfaction as you get the opportunity of changing people’s lives for the better. Not only does it help you get in touch with the community, it also helps you in making new friends. It is because the volunteer gets an opportunity to interact with people who share a common interest, thereby widening their support group. Let us look at the ways in which Volunteering can be rewarding for you.
- Regardless of your age or situation in life Volunteering makes you feel lively and energetic as it takes your mind away from the day-to-day worries.
- Volunteering is great for people struggling with issues of self-esteem and confidence as it gives you a feeling of self-worth. It is also good for teens suffering from depression, social anxiety, and eating disorders.
- Volunteering gives you the opportunity to interact with people and to enhance your social skills. You regularly meet with people who have similar interests and so it gets easy to make new connections.
- People can advance their career by opting for Volunteering services that match their skill-set. One can also learn new skills such as teamwork, communication, time management, project planning, critical thinking, and problem solving,
- Studies show that a very high percentage of prisoners in America suffer from mental disorders. There are programs that allow inmates to volunteer for causes and this helps significantly in reducing their stress levels.
- Apart from mental health benefits, Volunteering is also good for physical health. Research depicts that it helps in reducing the symptoms of heart disease and pain. Also, people who volunteer have a lower mortality rate as compared to their counterparts who do not volunteer.
Volunteering makes it easy for people to follow their passions. For instance, if you are an animal lover, you can take time out to work with animal rescue centers.
How to find the Right Volunteering Opportunity?
There are many jobs that one can find in their community. However, it is important to go for a position that matches your interests so that you enjoy doing it. Follow these simple tips to get a Volunteering opportunity that you would like doing.
- Ask yourself the following questions that will help you decide the best opportunity for you:
- Are there any causes close to your heart such as children’s education, elderly care, women empowerment, or animal welfare?
- Would you like to volunteer for children, adults, senior citizens, or animals?
- How many hours are you able to dedicate to the role?
- Are you comfortable working with a team or do you prefer working on your own?
- Does the job match your skillset?
- What would you like to gain from the opportunity?
- What are the places, people, and activities that make you feel energetic?
- Ensure that you know what the organization is expecting from you. It is good to start small so that you get an opportunity to get acquainted with people and you get to know the work that is expected.
- If you do not like the job that has been assigned then you should be vocal about it. Talk to the person in-charge and seek their help in finding a role that fits you.
So, what are you waiting for? Follow these simple tips to get the right volunteering opportunity and help change lives.